• Is a warrant required to get a blood test in a DUI case?

    Yes, a warrant is now required to get a blood test in a DUI case. It is becoming much more common for officers to request a warrant for blood when a person refuses a breath test at the police station. A warrant can be obtained from a judge telephonically.

  • Warrant – how do I set a hearing without being arrested in Seattle Municipal Court?

    In Seattle Municipal Court if the Warrant amount is less than $10,000.00 you can go to the first floor of the Seattle Justice Center, 600 Fifth Ave and set a hearing. (you will see clerk windows after security on right) You will not usually be taken into custody by the Court. However, the bench warrant will stay in place until the warrant quash hearing is held. If the Judge made the warrant pr’able (will say ” no PR” if applicable) the court clerk can just quash (cancel) it at the window and set the next hearing for your case. (what type of hearing – {arraignment, pre-trial, sentencing, review/revocation} will depend on what stage of the case you were at when you missed your Court appearance) Obviously, the above information is subject to change at any time without notice.

  • Warrant – because of missed court date what’s the “next” step?

    Alot of people miss their scheduled DUI and criminal traffic related court appearances for many reasons. Sometimes the police officer writes down your address wrong; you did not change your address after moving; you were out of town when the notice came to your mailbox; you opened your mail late or sometimes you just weren’t ready to deal with it.

    Well, the thing to remember is that you will probably be arrested if you are stopped by a police officer. The good news is that most Courts have a warrant quash procedure and calenders where you can appear in person and quash (recall/cancel/stop) the warrant. You need to call the Court that gave you notice beforehand and find out what there particular procedure is. Alot of Courts will require your appearance in person to schedule the Court appearance. Some Courts will allow you to quash the warrant at the Court clerks window if it is below a certain amount (for example $1000) and pay a warrant fee (for example $75). The key is TO DO SOMETHING, so you don’t have this horrible uncertainity over your head. Once you appear at the scheduled Court appearance, most Courts will simply release you on your own PR (personal recognizance) (obviously this depends some on your prior history and reason for missing the Court date) and set a new Court date. If arraignment was the missed hearing, some Courts will do the arraignment at that time. For King County see link King County Quash Warrant